If you've been on Facebook this week you've no doubt seen some of your friends have changed their profile photos to a banner supporting same sex marriage. Does that actually accomplish anything?
We've all seen pleas on Facebook to "like" this or "share" that in order to prove we care about cancer, kids or some cause. How many of us have been urged to change our status update for "only an hour" to prove we love God or hate animal abuse?
The image above is a familiar sight on Facebook this week as the Supreme court debates the issue of same sex unions. The profile photo frenzy is the newest trend in what's called "slacktivism."
Remember this 'craze' came about during the KONY debacle where it became cool to hate KONY whoever that is, but he must be stopped. Now while this generated lots of interest it quickly died off among the ADD genertation but not before they picked up their parents credit cards and donated to what turned out to be 80% scam 20% kind of not a scam.
Lets make this easy - 5 Habits of Slacktivists:
5. Make it your mission to raise awareness of something that everyone already knows about.
4. Always use pronouns like “we” or “someone.”
3. Do as little as possible, and ask others to do the same.
2. Defend your actions as “better than nothing.”
1. Feel good about yourself. You just changed the world.